My husband's family has a few holiday traditions and Chex mix at the Irwin's was a must the night before Thanksgiving and Christmas. I loved to watch my father-in-law throw the mix together and then anxiously await the final product. Once complete he guarded it from his boys so that Thanksgiving day or Christmas day he would have a full bowl to accompany him while watching football. One year a fight even broke out between my father-in-law and brother-in-law about how much he was eating the night before. They took their Chex mix sooooo seriously! He would never adjust the recipe because like everything he did, it had to be perfect! And gluten free was not so perfect to him.
When I joined the family over nine years ago they made every attempt to accommodate my crazy diet but I don't think they really believed that it was necessary. I never asked them to change the famous Chex mix recipe because I didn't want to upset the family or be that way so I would just eat around the wheat Chex and pretzels and hope that the cross contamination affects would be minimal.
Tonight I watched my husband as he mixed the special mix with gluten free Worchestershire Sauce and pretzels and had to smile! What a great man! He is so dedicated to keeping my diet clean and so supportive. It just came out of the oven. Test taste to follow...
Ok so the results... OMG it is GREAT! Let me share this recipe with you all.
Gluten Free Chex Mix
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free Rice Chex
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free Corn Chex
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free honey nut Chex (optional)
- 1-2 cups of peanuts or nut of choice
- 2-3 cups of gluten free pretzel sticks
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of gluten free worchestershire sauce (used French's)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large roasting pan mix cereals, nuts and pretzels.
- Melt the butter and mix in spices and worchestershire sauce.
- Gradually pour over cereal mix and stir.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
- Store in air-tight container.