I think I finally found what I was looking for in a cornbread that is perfect with soups and stews. I have taken the same recipe out of my very first GF cookbook, Cooking Gluten-Free! by Karen Robinson, and altered it now four times since 2003 to come up with this one and I believe it is a keeper. My magic ingredient is the GF Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal by Bob's Red Mill which is a blend of whole grain brown rice, corn, sorghum and buckwheat.
- 1/3 cup organic agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill GF All purpose baking flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill GF Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons of organic butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of Almond milk, vanilla (or any milk of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or oil an 8 inch baking dish.
- Combine baking soda, salt, zanthan gum, flour mix, and Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal, flaxseed meal in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter, egg, agave and milk in small bowl.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the flour mixture until blended.
- Poor batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick tests clean.
- Serve for breakfast or with your favorite stew or soup.
We served our cornbread with my Beef Green Chili Stew. Stayed tuned for future post.