Did I mention that I am a cereal freak? Well one of the hardest things for me to give up when I had to stop eating gluten was all those great cereals on the market. Thankfully now there are plenty of gluten free cereals however I still find that it is not the most beneficial breakfast for me to eat especially before my workout. Doing CrossFit in the morning requires a little more substance and protein to start the day. I am thrilled to have another option for hot cereals, and couldn't wait to create a yummy breakfast this morning.
This recipe was inspired by my old College buddy from Haiti. She used to make her mom's special cream of wheat for me and it was delicious but loaded with sugar and gluten. It was necessary for me to adapt this one. I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1 cup of almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lime (peel about 4 slices off the lime)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla (optional)
- 1/4 cup of gluten free oats
- 1/8 cup of Pocono Cream of Buckwheat
- Favorite fruit of choice (applesauce, blueberry sauce, blueberries, or dried cranberries)
Heat the milk in a small sauce pan on medium-high heat. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, and lime peels and once the milk starts to simmer add the buckwheat then the oats. Simmer for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Servings: 1
Post a Comment