OMG... I just baked the most awesome cake ever! My son's former Au Pair (who is German) used to make this cake for us, non-gluten free, 3 years ago when she lived with us in the States and I would cheat just to have a slice. Today she is visiting us and I asked her if we could attempt to convert her mom's recipe into a gluten free recipe. So we did and WOW we cannot tell the difference one bit. This is a fantastic cake to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner or just for fun anytime. The Germans are known for their amazing apple strudels and cakes so give this one a try. Everyone will love it!!!
- 3 3/4 Cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 sticks + 2 tablespoons of organic unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons baking powder, Bob's Red Mill aluminum free
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1/2 large red apples of choice (we used pink lady apples) sliced & peeled
- 1 1/2 cups of organic apple sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream/whipping cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, and almond extract together with hand mixer until mixture is crumbly.
- Prepare spring form cake pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper and buttering the sides.
- Place 1/2 of flour mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the apples on top of the flour layer and the apple sauce on top of the apples.
- Place remaining flour mixture on top and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the cream and egg with a fork and set aside until the cake is done then pour the cream mixture on top and return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for at least 1 to 2 hours before slicing and serving.