I made these Paleo friendly muffins for a treat the other day as I was experimenting with new nut flours. While trying to come up with an apple cinnamon version of my pumpkin spice muffins for the kids without any sugars or agave I attempted these. My husband took one bite and was floored. He said, "now that is the BEST muffin you have made so far! Are you sure there isn't any flour in that?" Nope, all nut flours so he dubbed it the Nutty Muffin. The kids were excited to have one but they both took only one bite. I guess I will have to stick with adding a little agave for the boys. This is a great breakfast or desert treat for those of us that find these sweet enough. :) Enjoy!
The Nutty Fig Muffin
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chestnut flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon almond aroma
- 2 heaping tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond oil (or grapeseed oil)
- 1 cup of unsweetened cinnamon applesauce
- 1 cup chopped dried figs (if you don't like figs use dates)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Mix together the gluten-free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, flaxseed meal, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Mix oil and eggs with wisk. Stir in applesauce and almond aroma. Then add the dry ingredients
- Fold in the nuts and figs.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.