Day 6 of our Paleo Challenge and my teammate along with the other girls are doing an outstanding job maintaining their 25 daily points and not cheating. Way to go girls! We have been sharing ideas and recipes non-stop on facebook which is a lot of fun. Thanks for all the tips.
Tonight I took an old favorite from Bon Appetite Oct 2006 issue and made it gluten free and now Paleo. If I were still living in New Mexico this dish would be a green chili dream! To get my hands on some Hatch green chillies freshly roasted would be heaven but for now, living here, the Commissary's canned green chilies are the best I can do. For those of you that really want to make this the original way you will need some monterey pepper jack cheese and little bit of 1/2 and 1/2 or cream.
Paleo NM Green Chili Beef with Roasted Peppers (gluten free)
- 2 lbs of ribeye steak or steak of choice
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can of green chilies (Ortega or Old Paso is what the Commissary Offers)
- or if you have the time...
- 2 fresh Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, cut into thin strips
- 1 7 oz jar roasted red bell peppers, drained, cut into thin strips (Melissa's)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Non Paleo add:
- 1/2 cup of cream or half and half
- 1 1/4 cup grated cheese (Monterey Pepper Jack or Cheddar is best)
- Rub both sides of steaks with garlic and cumin, then drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and lime juice.
- Let stand while preparing peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-hight heat.
- Add onion and cook until beginning to brown, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes.
- Add chiles and peppers and stir until heated through.
- Add oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Cook until brown, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer to work surface and slice into thin strips.
- Place steak on plates and spoon pepper mixture on top.
After step 5 above...
- Add cream then 3/4 cup of cheese and stir until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of pepper mixture.
Post a Comment