I was walking through the commissary the other day and noticed a new product on the shelf, Bisquick Pancake and Baking Mix Gluten Free. Now normally I would just keep walking and not purchase anything from Bisquick because of it's lack of nutrients and what I considered "junk" food, but because of my previous pancake challenge with King Arthurs, Bob's Red Mill and Pamelas mixes it is necessary for me to add this product into the comparison.
What better day than today,Sunday morning, to splurge on breakfast! I took the mix which is made of; rice flour, sugar, baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, modified potato starch, salt, xanthan gum, and I added flax seed meal, blueberries and thinly sliced bananas.
My husband and I both agreed that it is taste very similar to King Arthur's gluten free pancake mix which was our #1 choice previously. This will probably have to be a tie for taste but not on the top of my list for nutritional value. Pamelas still takes the lead on the best ingredients. Chris explained it best... "they have a crispy outer layer which I love best in a pancake yet still buttery inside, yummy!"
Banana Blueberry (or any berry of choice) Gluten Free Pancakes
- 1 cup Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 1 cup milk (cow, almond or rice milk)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1/2 package fresh blueberries
- 1 banana thinly sliced
- Stir ingredients until blended except fruit.
- Then carefully fold in blueberries and bananas.
- Pour slightly less than 1/2 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle.
- Cook until edges are dry.
- Flip and cook until golden
- Approx 10 pancakes