How many of you think back on your childhood and remember how great the food was that your dad made? My dad didn't cook that often but when he did the four of us kids would get sooooo excited because we knew it was going to be awesome and usually not super healthy. Mom my was and still is a health food nut and some of the creations she would make us would make my stomach turn, sorry mom. She was looking out for our best interest and I'm so glad that she did because I don't think I would be as fit and healthy if it wasn't for the good eating foundation that she built for all us kids. Thanks Mom, you rock!!!
I must say how much I love my parents and wish that some day we might live close enough so they can spend some time with their grandkids before they are grown and gone. My sister is the lucky one, they now live with her in Okinawa and care for her two little ones. She needs the help more than me.
This is one of our old time favorite dishes that my dad would make occasionally and a few years back he decided to make it gluten free just for his little Celiac daughter (that would be me). My favorite line from the Bill Cosby show that I say to my dad often... "Dad is GREAT... he makes us Chocolate Cake!" And that is my dad, GREAT!!! I took his recipe tonight and changed it a bit but for the most part it is true to its original state. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do on a non-paleo night.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 can of pure tomato paste
- 1- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 package of spaghetti sauce mix (ensure it does not have MSG or make your own like I did)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, oregano, basil, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, rosemary, marjoram, red pepper flakes, garlic salt
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 small can black olives
- 1 to 2 zucchinis sliced and halved.
- 1 package of gluten free lasagne noodles of choice (Schar or Tinkyada are great but Schar is not available in the US, sorry because it was good)
- 2 small blocks mozzarella cheese
- 1 small block of cheddar cheese
- Heat oil on med heat and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add meat and brown
- Add tomato paste and water.
- Add spaghetti sauce mix or spices.
- Add mushrooms, olives and zucchinis.
- Simmer for about 45 min to an hour.
- Cook lasagne noodles as/per directions
- Shred cheeses
- In a 8"x11" (Two Quart) Pyrex dish layer noodles, sauce, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese and lightly sprinkle the cheddar. Should be about three layers.
- Cook in oven at 325 for about 45 min. Watch that the top doesn't brown too fast.
- Let stand for about 15 to 20 minutes and serve with your favorite greens.
Post a Comment