We have been in St Thomas just over a month and I have never felt more welcomed by so many wonderful new friends. I drove the kids to school the other day and was delivered this delicious Roasted Veggie Tort by one of the moms, Kim. I was floored at her generosity and couldn't wait to have some for lunch that day. It was a great compliment to salmon burgers and my husband loved it. I'm still waiting for our oven to arrive... I think this is the longest I have ever gone without baking something. But when it finally does I'll be making this one for sure. Thanks Kim! You along with many others at Antilles have made our move and transition to the Island wonderful!!
Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, by Ina Garten
- 2 zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, halved cored and seeded
- 2 yellow bell peppers, halved, cored and seeded
- 1 eggplant unpeeled, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (remove for paleo)
- Cook the zucchini, onions, garlic and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat for 10 minutes until zucchini is tender.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Brush the red and yellow peppers and eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast on a baking sheet for 30 to 40 minutes until soft but not browned.
- In a 6-inch round cake pan, place each vegetable in a single overlapping layer, sprinkling parmesan chees and salt and pepper to taste between each of the layers of vegetables.
- Begin with half the eggplant, then a layer half of the zucchini and onions then all the red and yellow peppers, then the rest of the zucchini, onions and eggplant.
- Cover the top of the vegetables with a 6-inch round of parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Place a 6-inch flat disk (another cake pan or the bottom of a false-bottom tart pan) on top and weight it with a heavy jar.
- Place a plate or baking sheet (it will leak) and chill completely.
- Drain the liquids, place on a platter. Serve at room temperature.