My sister was a rock star in the kitchen when she came to help me just before I had baby #3. Keep in mind that my sister has never liked cooking or baking for that matter but when she was diagnosed just this past year with Celiac's disease she FINALLY realized that it was time to make a change on what she was eating and that meant learning to find a passion for kitchen time! I'm so proud of my "big" sister for changing her habits and embracing the life of Gluten Free, Grain Free!!
While she was visiting and cooking for us she made these most awesome muffins. They were such a huge hit with my boys and her kids that I think in a weeks time she made three batches of them and delivered a few to me the day after my son Finnegan was born so that I would have a delicious healthy treat to go along with that lovely hospital food (not). Thank you Sheilah for taking such good care of my family in our time of need!! I miss you girl!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour or ground walnut "flour"
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans lightly roasted & chopped
- 2-3 over-ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla
- 3 organic eggs at room temp
- 1/3 cup local honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place walnuts on a baking sheet and roast in oven until lightly toasted
- Mash banana into a liquid
- Mix in honey and almond butter
- Beat eggs, oil and vanilla and add to banana mixture
- In a separate larger bowl, mix all dry ingredients, including toasted walnuts
- Add wet and dry ingredients
- Spoon batter into lined muffin cups approx 3/4 full
- Bake 15-20 minutes