We spent last weekend in Portland, Oregon for my nephews wedding and had an incredible time catching up with family. My older sister who used to not cook or know how to really eat healthy until I showed her how easy it is about 9 years ago, has now surpassed me on many things in the realm of cooking healthy and I couldn't be more proud of her. It is so awesome to be able to share ideas and recipes with your own family and learn new tricks here and there when you all believe how important it is to eat clean and listen to what your individual bodies are telling you. Who would have thought that my sister would be such a pro now on knowing what to eat. This gluten free granola recipe is one of hers and it is the bomb!
When I do feel the need to eat a little bit of grains this will be a go to for me, especially since I have such a love for cereals. I changed a couple of ingredients because I didn't have them in my kitchen today so that gives everyone more options, just try not to skip the orange zest...that was the secret ingredient for sure!
- 4 cups GF oats,
- 1/2 c coconut oil
- 1/2 maple syrup,
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1TBSP carob powder (I used cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4c sesame seeds (optional)
- 1/2 sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/2 chopped almonds or walnuts & cashews
- 1/4 shredded coconut
- cocoa nibs (optional)
- 3 dates chopped
- 1/4 cup Raisins chopped or whole or currants
- blueberries or cranberries or good.
- Approx 1 tablespoon orange zest (yummy....don't leave this one out)
- Mix together everything in a large bowl except dates, currents and blueberries.
- Spread thin on cookie sheet bake at 300 degree 15- 20 mins
- Then turn and bake another 10. Don't burn!
- Add dates, raisins, berries and orange zest